This week I read We Were Liars by E Lockhart. This book has a very unique style of writing. In reading some reviews online I have seen that it is very divisive. Personally, I enjoyed it but wouldn’t say I loved it. I can see how the nay-sayers called it lazy because the writing is choppy. But I think it made it a quick and easy read. There were a ton of mysteries in this book that keeps you very engaged, and I won’t spoil it but… There are definitely a lot of twists that’ll have you gripped. My biggest problem with this book was how it explored privilege. The book is about very prilvedged, white, rich, Americans. It documents their lavish summers at their private island. In the beginning, you think it will be breaking down privilege and be interesting to expose into the pitfalls of life like this and the exploitation this kind of wealth requires but I think it falls short of actually doing this. I think this is a good short book to get you out of a reading slump or a good book if you love a twist. But wasn’t necessarily my favorite. 7.5/10

“Someone once wrote that a novel should deliver a series of small astonishments. I get the same thing spending an hour with you.”