This week I read Ghost Walk by Rebecca Scott. This book was an interesting mix of science and magic, focusing on the history of Alchemy. Though the book was fictional it highlights a lot of truths about alchemy and Isaac Newton’s real-life past with it. I love when fictional books make me curious about real history. But the book also had some engaging fiction to it, and some really interesting twists which I love! It also takes time with it’s setting, Cambridge UK, and makes the reader feel a connections to the channels and annicent buildings. Since the story explores Alchemy in the past and present this is brought together through a share setting. My least favourite part was the characters, I found they were uninteresting and didn’t have a lot of depth. It felt like they only existed to move the plot along and I feel books resonate more when the characters are fully realized and leave an impression on their reader. Lydia Brookes doesn’t feel real to me, she doesn’t have a depths of personality traits that one can relate to or despise or have any sort of strong feeling towards. She only reacts as the story unfolds.

I gave this book a 7.5/10

My favourite quote was “Science doesn’t reduce things, or explain mysteries away; it just discovers stranger and stranger things.”